[clug-talk] OT: Work table selection [Solved!]

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Tue May 23 21:58:10 PDT 2006

Top-posting with original problem at the end:

I ended up going the DIY route and made a bench out of Unistrut and
stained 3/4" birch plywood.

There is more info and pictures here:
http://mcarlson.ca/index.php?page=comment&item=2006-05-23-19-30-54

To summarize:
-113lbs of steel, a 6'x2.5' worksurface & a 6'x1.5' shelf
-Total(ish) cost: $500
-Same size as the $1000 bench... don't know if it'll hold 600lbs, but
it'll hold over 300lbs without flexing more than a few mm.
-I was reminded of why I'm not a woodworker
-I took way too many trips to the hardware store
-I like OO.o calc's html export feature

WooHoo! Long weekend projects are fun :-)

-Mark