[clug-talk] Moving a Partition?

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Tue May 23 12:42:05 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I have this Media Direct button on my laptop. Originally, (read -
before I wiped the entire disk and put Kubuntu on it), this button
would boot into a scaled-down version of Windows XP Media (or
whatever it's called). It would then scour the hard drive or
attached portable memory device for media files and then offer to
play them. It was kind of a 'quick boot' specifically for playing
media.

Now that the rest of my system has settled down, I'm looking at
this thing and wondering what I can do with it. I've determined
through forums that it appears to be hard coded to boot into the
second partition on the first hard drive. This would make it
/dev/sda2 for me. Sadly, that's where my Kubuntu install is (and
I've verified that powering on with this button does boot my
normal Linux install).

I know that there are ways to shrink down partitions without
losing everything, but I've never done it. Assuming that someone
can point me in the right direction there, is there any way to
make my newly created partition /dev/sda2 instead of my current
Linux partition. And if I did, would it just be a matter of
updating GRUB with the new partition location of my Linux
install?

Or am I about to make a hopeless mess if I try this?

Thanks!

---
-=: www.jonwatson.ca
-=: www.linuxworldnet.com