[clug-talk] proxy

Ian Bruseker ian.bruseker at gmail.com
Tue May 23 10:38:14 PDT 2006

On 5/23/06, Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am tinkering with my lovely IPCop, and have been puzzled by the "Web
> proxy" section. Is this what I think it is? I'm thinking, that it will cache
> everything my connection sees. So, if I download coolprogram.exe and then my
> brother does it on his computer, instead of doubling the bandwidth, it will
> just pull it from the cache (stored on the IPCop).

Ya, you've pretty much hit on it, assuming you downloaded
coolprogram.exe by HTTP (like, not FTP - it's not an FTP proxy, just
web).  The trick is if you are hoping to have it cache a lot of stuff
like that, you'll need a lot of RAM in your IPCop box.  The proxy
program IPCop uses, Squid, is very RAM intensive.  Also, obviously,
it's time dependant.  If you downloaded coolprogram.exe three days ago
and your bro goes to get it today, it might be gone from the cache
because newer stuff has replaced it, depending on how much browsing
you do.

Ian