[clug-talk] Kernel Panic

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 23 01:05:20 PDT 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 19:10, Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> I'm having seemingly random kernel panics on boot. It seems to happen when
> I hit restart in Windows and come back into Linux, but I've yet to narrow
> it down to a single (set of) cause(s). Could Windows be sending some weird
> signal to Grub?
> Call Trace:
>  [<f88f2257>] ntfs_end_buffer_async_read+0x257/0x3a0 [ntfs]

it's dieing in the ntfs fs code (thank you microsoft for yet another
proprietary mess). if it is happening after you restart from windows, perhaps
windows is putting the ntfs partition into a state that the linux driver
doesn't cope with very well, e.g. it crashes. if that is the case, i doubt
there is much you can do about it except report the bug to your distro and
hope it gets fixed in a later rev of the ntfs driver.

--
Aaron J. Seigo