[clug-talk] Run a script on boot with Kubuntu?

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sat May 20 20:57:24 PDT 2006

Actually for simplicity sake, it is better to use /etc/fstab, rather
than the startup script.  Is the samba mount hosted on a linux or
windows server?  The following assumes that you have a linux samba
server, as Unix permissions can pass through (it is why root is mounting
the samba share).

You can modify this so that every user has their own samba share and
cannot see the samba password (/etc/fstab is world readable).

In the /etc/fstab put the following line:
//file-server/shared /shared cifs credentials=/root/.smbpasswd

The /root/.smbpassword file should like this:
user=admin_username
password=

It should also have 0600 as its file permission.

I got this info from the following web site, which was Debian specific
(close enough for KUbuntu):
http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/desktop-system-setup-debian-sarge.html

Of course if you really want to do a startup script then put the script
(or a sym link) in /etc/init.d

then run:
update-rc.d scriptname start 25 1 2 3 4 5 . stop 25 0 1 6 .
(this assumes that your script is intelligent enough to do different
things for startup and shutdown.  Take a look at some of the /etc/init.d
scripts for ideas)

For my firewall script I ran:
update-rc.d firewall start 25 5 .
This only starts the firewall in runlevel 5, (yes I know what holes this
opens up)

for shutdown I had a separate script:
update-rc.d firewall-down stop 25 0 1 6 .

man init and man update-rc.d will be your friend here if this does not
make sense.

I was pretty sure I knew the answer, I just needed some sleep first :)

Cheers,