[clug-talk] Challenge: Fertil Soil

Curtis Sloan curtis.sloan at shaw.ca
Fri May 19 09:16:53 PDT 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 22:19, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 20:37, Shawn wrote:
> > The one overall theme through all these methods is time.  It takes time
> > to do anything.  Volunteer what time you have.
>
> ... and small consistent input is often more effective over the long haul
> than a short major effort is. an afternoon a month or an hour a week over
> the course of a year is not only easier to manage for the volunteer, it's
> something that will have a much bigger impact than spending one weekend a
> year doing a single thing and then not doing anything else. some people
> will certainly do more than this, but even "small" contributions add up
> over time.

A short term perspective of the above idea:

The company I work for encourages what they call "Task Forces".  Usually,
someone takes the initiative to propose an investigation into a product,
technology, problem, etc. with a definite scope and time period (usually a
few weeks, no more than a couple of months).  Those willing to participate
come aboard and meet maybe once or twice a week to research and share
thoughts on what they have found.  Then they document their findings and
present at the closure of the task force.  What is left is a documented
contribution to the company, a sense of community and teamwork, and closer
social ties since most of the work occurs over coffee, beers, etc.  Task
forces can build off previous findings, and anyone is able to spearhead one.

There's less need to deliver a critical, final product and yet it produces
many of the desired effects (I think are) being referred to in this thread.

Feedback appreciated.

Curtis