[clug-talk] Freifunk (wireless mesh) in Calgary

simon simon at mungewell.org
Thu May 18 11:53:32 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:26:43AM -0700, Dan Graham wrote:
>  Sorry for the late reply, I am happy to here you are still interested in
> working with freifunk and OLSR mesh. Please feel free to contact me off list.
> Anybody else that wants to get involved may also feel free to contact me as
> well. The following links "googled" may be of value to those wondering what the
> heck were talking about. Basically we want to take over the World.
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freifunk
>  http://freifunk.net/wiki/FreifunkFirmwareEnglish
>  http://ff-firmware.sourceforge.net/
>  http://www.jawug.za.net/FreiFunk
>
> All the best, Dan Graham

Hi Dan and all,
Did some reading and it all looks to have some possibilities (and
problems :0).

Do interested parties want to meet up one evening and chat about 'where
to go' and 'how we get there'?

The main questions I think that need to be answered are:
1). 'TOC' - how much is this 'fun' going to cost me? Can I fake up a
Freifunk node with a PC & (hostap) wireless card?

2). How does the IP scheme works between nodes/clients? I don't think it
looks that scalable and doesn't cope with mobile clients....

Simon