[clug-talk] nasty problem

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Wed May 17 23:39:10 PDT 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 00:20, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Why are you using UDP instead of TCP?  Since your app is going over

Rob has talked to me about this app in the past.  The 12 minute response time
he might sometimes get via the satellite, was a factor.  (i.e. that could be
a 36 minute handshake in the worst case scenario - 3 packets, each of which
could take up to 10 or 12 minutes to arrive...)  Basically, he's dealing with
an environment with very high latency issues.  TCP packets would timeout much
too quickly for this environment.

Now, take what I've said with a grain of salt.  Rob is THE source for details
here.  Our conversation on this happened sometime last fall (I think), so my
memory could be spotty.