[clug-talk] svn for dummies

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 17 22:32:57 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 22:59, Jesse Kline wrote:
> I admit that I don't know much about subversion. Can anyone explain why
> this won't work or would be hard to implement?

a local repository is generally required to do commits from. so you'd need a
check out of the files on the webserver and do sth like what jacob mentioned.
of course, in such a situation, if you have multiple people working on things
at the same time you're going to lose some of the benefits of having a RCS
(namely merging of changes and handling of resulting conflicts). if you don't
mind everyone using the same svn account and merging/conflict resolution
aren't an issue, then it can be done. it's just particularly inelegant.

and if you are using svn in such a way and don't need other RCS features like
branching/merging, you may as well just implement your own file upload
website that versions files as they are updated. it'll probably take less
time, be faster to use and give the same general effects of using svn behind
a website with a single user for commits.

--
Aaron J. Seigo