[clug-talk] nasty problem

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 17 19:52:37 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 19:02, Robert Lewko wrote:
> I am using UDP because the client is using a satellite modem.  The server
> uses UDP port 9608.  When the server gets a packet it just gets the source
> address and returns the response packet to the sender.  Like I said I have
> had no problem with that port both while I have been developing the code
> and for the last week until this afternoon.

as you know, udp has no guarantee of delivery (or ordering for that matter).
so if there are any network issues whatsoever you can lose udp packets pretty
easily; tcp packets will resend when they aren't ack'd. if you need
guarantees with udp you usually end up setting up some sort of ack-on-failure
(as opposed to tcp's ack on success which suppresses a resend). welcome to
udp =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo