[clug-talk] FREE pc-to-landline calling

simon simon at mungewell.org
Wed May 17 14:11:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:01:08AM -0600, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> http://digg.com/technology/SkypeOut_now_FREE_for_US_Canada_
>
> SkypeOut, the service that lets people call landlines/cells over their
> computer is now *free*!
> I can now call anyone in North America completely free from Skype ... and...
> it works in Linux too ;)

Hi Mitchell and all,
while Skype does provide a service for free (as in beer), I think it is
important to note that it uses a propriatory protocol - which means that
it can not interoperate with other VoIP services.

People may be willing to accept this limitation, that's fine, but for me
I feel that the SIP standard is the way forward.

That said I don't know of (and expect there isn't) any free (as in beer)
method of going VoIP->PSTN. To make this jump I use a calling card
arrangement, and thus have to dial a special number/account/pin before
dialling the destination. There are obviously pay monthy services which
don't need this....

Another 'thing' with real posibilities is enum, where a person can tie a
'normal' PSTN/Cell number to VoIP account/email/www. Thus when a VoIP
caller (who's dial tone service does enum lookup) dials your number they
get their call routed the cheap (i.e. free) route automatically without
knowing whether its VoIP or PSTN.

Michel Robertson (MP3.com fame) is doing some interesting stuff with
switching calls between VoIP and PSTN/Cell. However he is not yet
offering Canadian DID's :-(

Cheers,
Simon.