[clug-talk] svn for dummies

Jesse Kline jesse at kline.ca
Wed May 17 12:34:24 PDT 2006

Quoting Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com>:

> I was looking at web front ends as well, until I found TortiseSVN.  Tortise
> integrates with Windows Explorer (on that other OS), to allow easy use of the
>
> SVN repository for my customers.  I wish there was a similar addon for
> Konqueror - that would make me use SVN even more.

A web front end would be the best case for me, but I will look into this.

> If you really have your heart set on a web interface, check out
> http://www.tigris.org - and do a search for svn under their projects page.  I
>
> think I remember seeing a few front-ends there...

I did that, there are a number of front ends, but svnwebclient was the only one
that seemed to have the ability to commit via the interface.

> OR
> you can tell us what problems you're having with the current package...

Basically I've had no shortage of problems so far. svnwebclient runs on Tomcat,
and what I have now is Debian 3.1 running tomcat5. The Tomcat Manager web
interface doesn't seem to work when I point it to the .war file, so I unzipped
the file to /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/svnwebclient, and edited the web.xml
(pointed it to apache running the subversion module, etc.). In the Tomcat
Manager I set the context path to /svnwebclient, and pointed it to both the
web.xml file and the svnwebclient directory. After restarting Tomcat
/svnwebclient shows up under the list of applications, but when I try to start
it, it says "FAIL - Application at context path /svnwebclient could not be
started". I'm not sure what's wrong as I've tried it a number of times, and I
cannot find anything in the error logs.

Thanks for your help,

Jesse