[clug-talk] my ipcop box

Kin Wong kwong at csa-pdk.com
Tue May 16 10:52:49 PDT 2006

Mitchell Brown wrote:

> So how do I set all this up? My ISP tells me to set everything to
> automatic.

If everything is automatic, then you are connecting to their network
through DHCP.  They will have DNS servers which generally automatically
setup.

Not sure exactly what you need to do to solve the problem, but here are
a couple of things to look at.  When you were setting up IPCop, the
configuration of the red interface is where you would specify your
static ip and dns settings -- in your case your ip sounds like it is
dynamic, so I'm not sure if DNS will pop-up.  (I can't get the menu up
on my IPCop box -- seem to have forgotten what to do to get the
configuration menu back up after logging in as root).

The other thing to look at is from your IPCop box, can you ping
www.google.com -- though things are automatic, certain ISP providers
lock you down to a single MAC address (each network device has a unique
MAC address) and when you change the router that provides NAT (Network
Address Translation) service so that multiple network devices can be
share a single Internet connection.  They may need to refresh your
connection as you have changed from a black box router to an IPCop box
with nics (MAC address change for sure).

HTH