[clug-talk] OT: CLUG Business focus group?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon May 15 22:20:00 PDT 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 21:58, Kin Wong wrote:
> >Wouldn't topics like "setting up a FOSS phone system", or "hacking a
> > router to read file system X" be a CLUG topic?  Wouldn't a business
> > support group want to step away from "the right OS" to topics like
> > Accounting, Marketing, management, ethics, human resources, etc?
>
> I thought you guys would see it that way.  Just thought I would try and
> sneak some hands on hardware and mucking around stuff in there.
> Anyways, I have always had problems with deliniation of topics -- it is
> just on big subject.
>
> My push has always been the other way, I do enough of the other stuff
> already but would like to do it using FOSS.

The tech side would be covered anyways, but it shouldn't be the focus of the
group (IMO).  These sort of things could drive topics of interest back to
CLUG where tech/FOSS presentations are better suited...

But there's two ways to look at this - how to set up the system (technically
oriented), and how to USE the system (business oriented).  For example my
SQL-Ledger presentation (http://grover.open2space.com/node/4) covers how to
get started (i.e install it, and initial configuration), but comes nowhere
close to telling you how to manage your books.  How to do that would be a
great topic for the business group.  (don't mean to pound this sample into
the ground so hard, but it's such a clear cut instance of the presentation
differences).

So, I see room for both types of presentations - just in supporting venues....