[clug-talk] my ipcop box

Darcy Brodie darcy at canasc.ca
Mon May 15 19:12:36 PDT 2006

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>
>> You guys, after your lovely presentation insipred me to set one up of my
>> own. Okay, the install went smooth.
>> I've got two network cards in it, and I've correctly identified them as
>> green and red. Now, when I plug a machine into my green interface, and
>> try and ifup it, it cant get an IP from the DHCP server!  I set it up to
>> act as it (although I can no longer find the menu to change it :-/) but
>> it still doesn't see the machine.
>>

> In the web GUI, click:  Services -> DHCP server
>

>> Even though I couldn't get an IP, I tried going to http://192.168.1.1:81
>> (The IP I gave it) and, not surprisingly, it failed.
>>

> https://192.168.1.1:445
>
> Of course you need to manually configure an ip address on your
> workstation.  Under linux the following should work:
> ifconfig eth0 up
> ip addr add 192.168.1.200/24 dev eth0
> ip route add default via 192.168.1.1
>
> Windows should be straight forward (look in tcp/ip properties on the
> appropriate Ethernet device).
>
> If all of this fails, log in to your ipcop box (try ssh, or directly via
> the console aka keyboard :) and issue a reboot command.
>
> Also, make sure that there is no other device on the LAN with the same
> IP address.
>
> Oh, and finally, check all the cabling.  Physical issues can cause
> sleepless nights if you don't look for them.
>

>> Suggestions anyone?
>>
>> -

Mitchell
When you say that you connected a machine into the green nic, are you
going directly from one computer to the ipcop green interface with a
single network cable? if so, that cable will have to be a cross over
cable.  If you have a network hub or switch in between then you use
straight through network cables (if you look at the coloring of the 8
wires inside the connector, on a straight cable, they will all be in the
same order, but on a cross-over cable, 4 of them will be switched

Hope this helps

Darcy