[clug-talk] OT: CLUG Business focus group?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon May 15 17:44:54 PDT 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 12:34, Kin Wong wrote:
> Agreed, my concern was actually the other way around, I have got non
> FOSS issues that I would love to find FOSS solutions for or be able to
> bridge it by using running what we currently need by using either Wine,
> Vmware, dual boot or a second machine.
>
> My point is that in business there are non FOSS issues, but I am happy
> to strive for a FOSS solution whenever possible (sometimes it is client
> dictatated so the parameters are set).

Wouldn't topics like "setting up a FOSS phone system", or "hacking a router to
read file system X" be a CLUG topic?  Wouldn't a business support group want
to step away from "the right OS" to topics like Accounting, Marketing,
management, ethics, human resources, etc?

My thoughts are that the technical issues have a wider appeal than just
business interests, so are better suited as CLUG topics.  However, something
like "Accounting 101 with SQL-Ledger" would be bang on, as this is not really
a technical topic.  (that and I *really* need to get a better handle on my
books.. grins)

Of course, there will be some topics that fit both roles.  But if we want to
see how Linux/FOSS relates to business, then these topics can be rolled up
within CLUG's mandate.

My thoughts, not yours...