[clug-talk] OT: CLUG Business focus group?

Brad Camroux bgcamroux at shaw.ca
Sun May 14 22:14:28 PDT 2006

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 09:23:39PM -0600, Shawn wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've been talking with a few folks at and since the last monthly meeting.  It
> seems that there might be interest in putting together a group with a focus
> on business matters.
>
> The thinking is that there are a number of people in CLUG, with various skills
> related to business.  Everything from marketing, bookkeeping, IT, management,
> etc.  So, just like we share tech knowledge with CLUG, why not form a group
> to share the business knowledge.  This sharing would be accomplished through
> routine meetings, presentations, and maybe workshops, and would ideally be
> free for anyone to take part.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Doing something as a CLUG special interest group,
at least at the start, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.  It would at least give
the group a starting point -- a 'kernel', if you will ;O)

This could especially be a good way for young people like myself to learn a bit about
the finer points of running a business, be it consulting or otherwise.  Even though
I'm not in the IT industry at a professional level, the concepts and practises are
generally the same (within a margin of error) wherever you go.

Brad