[clug-talk] apt-get upgrade

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sat May 13 14:53:40 PDT 2006

Darren L wrote:
> Uhm...
>
> Be careful - those are two different commands.

Yes they are.

> # sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade This will update headers on
> the newest packages for your distro, and then upgrade currently
> installed packages to newer versions.
>
> #  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade This is usually done after updating your
> sources (/etc/apt/sources.list) list to the corresponding
> repositories for the version that you're upgrading to.  If i remember
> right, this will install new packages if current updates require them
> --  so there is a potential for problems (unlikely).

It depends on the distro.  If you set your repositories to a specific
name (sarge in Debian, or Breezy in Ubuntu), then you need to change
your /etc/apt/sources.list to upgrade to a newer version (etch or
dapper).  In debian you can use just the branch name, like stable,
testing etc.  In this case you will need to run dist-upgrade when etch
becomes the new stable.  Not doing so can result in packages being
broken because some dependencies will not be installed.

Either way their is the potential for breakage, but it is not likely if
you stick with stock sources.