[clug-talk] apt-get upgrade

Darren L xlr8me at gmail.com
Sat May 13 07:03:17 PDT 2006

Uhm...

Be careful - those are two different commands.

# sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
This will update headers on the newest packages for your distro, and then
upgrade currently installed packages to newer versions.

#  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This is usually done after updating your sources (/etc/apt/sources.list)
list to the corresponding repositories for the version that you're upgrading
to.  If i remember right, this will install new packages if current updates
require them --  so there is a potential for problems (unlikely).