[clug-talk] mail server using qmail

Brad Camroux bgcamroux at shaw.ca
Fri May 12 22:17:11 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:22:18PM -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> By manually telnetting to you mail server I was able to see the
> following error:
>
> 451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)
>
> Check your logs, chances are it will tell you what went wrong.
>
> /var/log/maillog
> /var/log/qmail/qmail-send/current
> /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd/current

Thank you for that helpful bit.  I was able to Google the error message and get some help.
Turned out to be a problem with qmail-scanner.  Managed to fix that, but then had no shortage
of headaches trying to understand how to get the rest of everything going nicely.

Finally managed it, though.  Got my virtual domain(s) setup nicely and forwarding to the
appropriate local account.  Guess I could have done without using vpopmail, since I'm only doing
one or two virtual domains, but oh well....

> Is there any specific reason for using qmail?

No real reason other than I have the O'Reilly book on qmail and I wanted to give it a shot.
If I'd have known how frustrating the .qmail files really are to understand, I would have never
installed qmail in the first place.  But it's working now (although qmail-send doesn't seem to
be logging itself... must look into that one).

Thanks again, Gustin, for starting me off!

Brad