[clug-talk] apt-get upgrade

Michael Walters waltersm at telusplanet.net
Fri May 12 21:46:34 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I did a man apt-get and found that there was an option called apt-get
upgrade, so I decided to try apt-get upgrade.

Since I did not know what would happen, I was afraid I might mess up my
system, but I decided to try it any way.

I found that I needed to run as root, so I su'd to root and ran apt-get
upgrade, and to my surprise, it seemed to work.

After running for a while ( I decided to leave the computer running on
apt-get upgrade) there were  some error messages, but nothing serious
seemed to go wrong, so I decided to try out some things that might have
worked better if something worked.

I tried the command aspell -c agenda20060513 which I did with tab
completion, until I got the full file name, and still got the same error
message that there were no word lists for us .

So apparently apt-get upgrade did not break my system nor did it seem to
do anything positive for my system.

I still want to get a binary stand alone program to spell check files
created under the vim editor and would also like to configure the vim
editor to keep the name of the file on the top of the screen when
editing a file within the screen which I used to be able to do at one
time. But now whenever I do a vi <filename> and then i for insert, the
file name completely disappears.

Do any of you have suggestions as to how to download and install
aspell.bin and how to configure vim editor to keep the file name visible
on part of the screen? I did manage to configure the vim editor to line
wrap successfully. If I can do the other two items I would have the vim
editor fully configured for my purposes.

Even with the vim editor as it is now I can edit .c files and can check
the c programs thus created and check their syntax and get simple c
programs working. And the vim editor does this by color coding the
characters on the screen in an intelligible way which gives me clues as
to what to do to edit the programs to make them work. And I can use the
first book on c programming that I got from my cousin to do the rest.

regards,

Michael Walters