[clug-talk] OpenSuSE 10.1 Released

Jarrod Major jarrod at digitaldemesne.net
Thu May 11 11:37:00 PDT 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 12:09 pm, Darren L wrote:
> Loved SUSE when I was using it on my thinkpad.  It worked out of the box
> for so much more than most other distros, which was perfect for me as I
> didn't care enough to fiddle around for hours on end (what with having to
> PASS and all).
>
> Hated the load time though.

Yes, it has consistently been slow to load (but I think this can be said for a
lot of other distros, not a SuSE-specific issue). I haven't had the chance to
tweak my kernel to remove the unnecessary stuff and I'm sure there are many
other things one could do to optimize load time. On a positive note, it seems
that with the later versions they have tried to speed things up a bit. Could
be my imagination though. ;)

Maybe this could be a topic for a presentation? Shawn did a presentation on
hacking your kernel last year but I wonder if other people have a few tricks
up their sleeves.

--
Jarrod Major
Registered Linux User: #224211