[clug-talk] News & Views: Save Vista By Open SOurcing It

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Thu May 11 10:10:28 PDT 2006

> > Part of the reason comes down to the choice of distribution.  Which
> > distros do they support?  Which versions?  Which kernals? etc. etc.
>
> The article specifies Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 as the distro
> for these machines, with three year onsite support plus a year's access to
> Red Hat Network. It also mentions that Dell has a linux support site for
> their systems (linux.dell.com).

Though I'm not a RH fan, I think Dell is making a move in the right direction.
The problem with using RH is it won't scale well to home users. Someone's
going to jump up and down screaming Fedora, but Fedora is not RH :) and it's
not supported.

Come to think of it, there aren't many distros who offer official support for
a home user. Linspire is the only one I can think of.

I read an article saying that most people only learn new computer skills out
of necessity -- and being put in front of a RH box at work would qualify. So
perhaps it's a good angle of attack.

Let's hope they use KDE :P

Nick