[clug-talk] News & Views: Save Vista By Open SOurcing It

Alastair Preston aprestn5 at telus.net
Thu May 11 09:03:27 PDT 2006

On Wednesday May 10 2006 10:27 pm, Tek Budda wrote:
> > Funny you should say that.......    According Linux Format. May 2006,
> > page 8 article: "Dell Does Linux" Dell is going to start shipping several
> > machines with Red Hat  Enterprise Linux Workstation pre-installed (models
> > 670n, 470n and 380n). How much advertising they're going to do remains to
> > be seen.
>
> I believe these are workstations and not desktops.  And even if they are
> available, the likely hood that they will be available in the US or
> Canada is likely nil.  I cold be wrong.. and I hope I am but that s my
> understanding.

Workstations, possibly. The prices quoted in the article were in dollars, not
pounds, which suggests they're to be available in the US at least. If the
article were referring to UK or European availability, the prices would
likely have been given in pounds or euros.

> Part of the reason comes down to the choice of distribution.  Which
> distros do they support?  Which versions?  Which kernals? etc. etc.

The article specifies Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 as the distro for
these machines, with three year onsite support plus a year's access to Red
Hat Network. It also mentions that Dell has a linux support site for their
systems (linux.dell.com).

Alastair