[clug-talk] TV-Out - I hope you like text

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed May 10 17:12:20 PDT 2006

There are two approaches, I used the second one personally.

First make sure that you have this in /etc/apt/sources.list

# Ubuntu backports project (packages, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse

Then run:
aptitude update

Then try the apt-get line again.

I did not follow the guide on the ubuntu forums, but this is because I
tend to have a fairly recent kernel installed and thus tend to need
recent versions of the driver.

First download the latest driver (as of right now anyway) from the
nvidia website

Make sure you have the kernel headers installed, a simple aptitude
install kernel-headers should suffice.

Then run the resulting downloaded .run file, like this:
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run -a

It should step you through what it needs to do.  I believe that latest
version also sets up your xorg.conf, but don't quote me on that.

After a reboot you should be good to go (well, you don't need to reboot,
modprobe nvidia and then /etc/init.d/gdm restart or /etc/init.d/kdm
restart depending on which you are using, gdm=Ubuntu kdm=Kubuntu)

The box that has my 5600 is currently running headless, so I didn't test
these instructions (the box didn't lock, but I have no idea if the TV
out works)

Mike Bougie wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> In true Mike fashion, I think I've pooched my xorg.conf file pretty
> decently. I'm trying to get my Nvidia Fx5200's TV-Out feature to work
> properly, and in doing so I used this guide, found on
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=98456&highlight=fx5200
> now when I reboot, I get no GUI, and after logging in and doing a
> "startx" the screen blanks as if x is loading, but then I get
> redicrected to command line with an error that reads as follows (among
> other information):
> Using config file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o"
> : No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o"
> : No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o"
> : No symbols found
> (EE) Failed to load module "Record" (module does not exist,0)
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist,0)
> (EE) No drivers available.
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> Now, I've also followed thes einstructions to update with the latest
> nvidia drivers
> but when I try to
> sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings
> linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
> I get E: couldn't find package linux-restricted-modules
> Any ideas how I can get this module loaded so I can load "Record" and
> "nvidia" then finally get the TVOut working on my Fx5200?
> ~Mike
> P.S. I had to write all that mumbo-jumbo since the errors are on another
> machine, so forgive me if there are the occasional spelling errors
> (which I doubt) or mis-types (entirely possible).
> ~Mike
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)