[clug-talk] Inspiron 9400

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Wed May 10 12:50:55 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 09:55, Jon wrote:
> > You could create a loopback device and do your install on that now, then
> > when you get your shiny new toy just tar it up & move it over, install a
> > boot loader & cross your fingers. Pre-emptive strike!
>
> Wha? I don't even understand that sentence never mind able to implement it.
>
> :)

That's one of the benefits of installing Gentoo a time or two - suggestions
like that make sense afterwards.. :)

Even if you choose not to install Gentoo, one could still learn a LOT from the
Gentoo handbook at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml.
(note:  go up a directory or two if you want to see docs for other platforms
or guides on setting up specific systems like email, KDE, etc.)

I have found that these guides are generally very well written, and if you
know enough to understand what parts are Gentoo specific and safe to ignore,
the rest of the instructions are great - for any distro.  For example,
anyplace the instructions say to "emerge" something, you would do "apt-get"
on a Debian based system to get the item installed.  But once installed, the
configurations are normally the same process.  (but file locations might
change slightly)