[clug-talk] Inspiron 9400

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Tue May 9 23:30:58 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 12:18 am, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 May 2006 11:46 pm, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> >> Gentoo
> >> users suffering from Mandrake expat syndrome.
> >
> > Thats hilarious, I started out on Mandrake, then tried a few others
> > before settling on Gentoo...so you've got me pegged.
> >
> > Just to boil your blood a little, Gentoo rocks ;)
>
> Actually I don't care.  I get... annoyed...  when someone makes
> inaccurate claims and then calls me when his system is rendered useless (

<flamebait>Last time my system was rendered useless was when I picked that
"Windows XP" option from Grub :) I wonder if it's still there, I haven't
rebooted for a long time...</flamebait>

> > That said, it is a personal choice. I tried Kubuntu and _hated_ it, but I
> > know many on this list swear by it. That's the beauty here, choice.
>
> I am one of these, I like Debian but they were never very KDE friendly,
> Kubuntu changed this.

You'll like this story then:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/KDE_to_Become_Better_Supported_on_the_Ubuntu_Platform

That's one thing I don't understand about Gentoo...Gnome by default. But KDE
does work very well, so, no complaints.

> > I will say of all the package managers out there, Apt is perhaps the most
> > flexible. However I like the way Portage is configured, I find it more
> > convenient. I'll give credit where credit is due: most of the good
> > distros are Debian spinoffs, including Gentoo.
>
> Aptitude is better, in case anyone is tracking this thread.  It is worth
> learning.

Well, I sorta meant Apt* :) I had thought Aptitude was just a front end (?)

> > If you want KDE NOW in Gentoo, there are binaries available. Then you can
> > compile your own in the background while you work if you choose :)
>
> I know, but then why would I choose Gentoo :)
> Why bother when I can just install FreeBSD...

Because Larry The Cow is cool? I don't know :) but I do plan on trying FreeBSD
one day soon.

I guess the only real answer here is Linux vs. BSD, yet another choice we
have.

> > For my share of binary bashing: I hate RPMs. I hate RPM based distros.
> > Been in dep hell one too many times! Never found a RPM repo that could
> > hold a candle to portage. Not even close.
>
> I started with RH... 'nuff said.

Poor guy.