[clug-talk] Inspiron 9400

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Tue May 9 22:46:24 PDT 2006

<flame bait>
I don't think we can book the room for 3 days :P
</flame bait>

Seriously, whats with the binary distro bashing of Gentoo users.  The
"complete control" line is kinda silly,  you can learn about your system
at "a low level" with other distros, it is a matter of personal interest
and motivation.

I could rebut most of the post, but that is not the point.  Gentoo is
simply another distro among many.  Period.  The debian family can build
apps from source with it's usual dependency checking.  Aptitude can
clean libraries and modules that are no longer used (it can even suggest
removing programs that have not been used lately).

This is not meant to be a my distro is better than yours rant, I would
just suggest we be careful before making claims that one distro does
something better than another, without at least having a thorough
understanding of both.

Sorry if this post seems ill tempered (but not ill tempered like some
evil sea bass), but I have had too many encounters this week with Gentoo
users suffering from Mandrake expat syndrome.