[clug-talk] Inspiron 9400

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 21:28:50 PDT 2006

Thanks for that. I'll keep all this in mind. I didn't know that about the
GUI installer :-/
Perhaps for the next meeting, someone should do a presentation on Gentoo!
That would be something worth seeing.

On 5/9/06, Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 20:11, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> > I've never tried Gentoo, but I do know that the newest LiveCD has a
> > brand-new graphical installer... much like in the recent flights of
> > Kubuntu! So that would avoid alot of manual compilation labor. I'd
>
> bzzzzttt!!!!  Wrong....  (but to be fair, that was my impression until I
> tried
> it out on this laptop yesterday... then aborted the process - read on for
> more on this).
>
> The graphical installer is only really recommended for those who have done
> manual install of Gentoo a few times.  It serves nothing more than act as
> an
> interface to collect the data needed that you would otherwise have to
> enter
> at the command line - but it gets ALL of it at once, and then goes to
> work.
> YOU STILL NEED TO DO THE COMPILES.
>
> > love to try out Gentoo too. If you get it all working, let me know how
> > it turns out, and maybe I'll give it a whirl. I've heard when it comes
> > to speed, there's no comparison in anything. It's blazing fast. I
> > guess thats where custom compiling the kernel to your hardware specs
> > helps! If you want some more info on Gentoo, I would point you in the
> > direction of www.systemtrash.com - they're a Romanian (?) podcast that
> > specializes in picking apart distros. They've done (to date)
> > PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and SuSE. Plus, they've done an interview
> > with Leo Laporte (*all hail Leo Laporte!*). I encourage everyone to
> > look at these guys - while having a funny-Diggnation feel to it, they
> > seem to know what they're doing!
>
> The BEST place for info on Gentoo is the Gentoo forums -
> http://forums.gentoo.org.  almost any question you can think of has been
> asked there.
>

> Jon, and anyone else considering it, here's what you can expect from
> Gentoo.
>
> - steep, but easy, learning curve.  The installation documents are simply
> incredible and explain so much that you take for granted.
> - LOTS of time compiling.  I fully expect that to go from scratch to a KDE
> desktop, without using binary packages (yes, that's possible too), will
> take
> at least a full 24 hours of compile time on modern hardware, if not
> longer.
> Unless you have set up a compile farm.  Even with my AMD 64bit 3000+ and a
> Gig of ram, it still took a full 48 hours to compile X windows, and KDE.
> - However, with proper tuning of your system, it will be relatively faster
> than an equivalent install of Fedora/Suse/Mandriva/etc.  But don't expect
> get the tuning down until you've installed Gentoo 3 or 4 times.
> - A streamlined system - no unnecessary gunk installed, unless it is
> needed by
> a particular application.  (think about abandoned libraries, or programs
> [...]

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422