[clug-talk] Inspiron 9400

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 19:11:05 PDT 2006

I've never tried Gentoo, but I do know that the newest LiveCD has a
brand-new graphical installer... much like in the recent flights of
Kubuntu! So that would avoid alot of manual compilation labor. I'd
love to try out Gentoo too. If you get it all working, let me know how
it turns out, and maybe I'll give it a whirl. I've heard when it comes
to speed, there's no comparison in anything. It's blazing fast. I
guess thats where custom compiling the kernel to your hardware specs
helps! If you want some more info on Gentoo, I would point you in the
direction of www.systemtrash.com - they're a Romanian (?) podcast that
specializes in picking apart distros. They've done (to date)
PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and SuSE. Plus, they've done an interview
with Leo Laporte (*all hail Leo Laporte!*). I encourage everyone to
look at these guys - while having a funny-Diggnation feel to it, they
seem to know what they're doing!

Oh, and the "granny approved" score for Ubuntu I think is 2/10
grannies to quote Dimi "Granny should not be anyyyywhere nearrr
Gentoo!" - but it did prompt them to release their new "Geek-Approved"
 score as well since they thought it was unfair to judge it only on
usability.

:) There's my $0.02

-MB

On 5/9/06, Jon <me at jonwatson.ca> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just 'cuz Shawn's so cool I thought I would mimic him. Kinda...
>
> I bought (and am awaiting delivery of) a Dell Inspiron 9400. The specs are
> much the same as Shawn's - 1.83Ghz dual core, 17" screen, 100GB HDD, Intel
> 9435 (did I get that right?) wifi card.
>
> Some Googling around shows that recent flights of Ubuntu work well with it
> (with the resolution hack in some cases and the Intel drivers). However,
> there are a few guys out there that claim to have it running freaking
> flawlessly with Gentoo.
>
> I've always been intrigued by Gentoo but have been far too scared to
> actually go anywhere near it. I'm thinking that this might be the perfect
> opporunity, though.
>
> Any thoughts or tips on that idea? What can I expect out of a Gentoo install
> (besides hours of compiling). Is it likely that my little Dell manual will
> give me detailed enough hardware specs that I can configure the install
> correctly?
>
> Kinda of think I'm going to be over my head here, but I also kinda want to
> try....
>
> Thoughts?

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091 C422