[clug-talk] Inspiron 9400

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Tue May 9 19:00:37 PDT 2006

Hi All,

Just 'cuz Shawn's so cool I thought I would mimic him. Kinda...

I bought (and am awaiting delivery of) a Dell Inspiron 9400. The specs are much the same as Shawn's - 1.83Ghz dual core, 17" screen, 100GB HDD, Intel 9435 (did I get that right?) wifi card.

Some Googling around shows that recent flights of Ubuntu work well with it (with the resolution hack in some cases and the Intel drivers). However, there are a few guys out there that claim to have it running freaking flawlessly with Gentoo.

I've always been intrigued by Gentoo but have been far too scared to actually go anywhere near it. I'm thinking that this might be the perfect opporunity, though.

Any thoughts or tips on that idea? What can I expect out of a Gentoo install (besides hours of compiling). Is it likely that my little Dell manual will give me detailed enough hardware specs that I can configure the install correctly?

Kinda of think I'm going to be over my head here, but I also kinda want to try....

Thoughts?