[clug-talk] New Laptop, couple of issues.

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Tue May 9 16:55:18 PDT 2006

I picked up an Acer TravelMate 4202 the other day with a duo core T2300 chip
in there.  I've installed Kubuntu Dapper (with the 7th test disk - rc7?), and
after some initial problems seem to be running more or less fine.  Except for
two points.

First, I only have a resolution of 1024x768.  Nothing more, nothing less is
available to me.  Apparently this is a known issue to be resolved in the
official release of Dapper, but stems from a fault in the system BIOS (not
listing resolutions other than this).  There is a reference to a fix for this
via a 915resolution patch.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Or other
suggestions?

Second, the wireless card is not detected in any way, even though it is
powered up.  It's an Intel a/b/g job.  Any tips on getting this going?  I did
find reference to a driver for ipw3945 and have downloaded the tarball, but
thought I'd check to see if anyone has experience with this before trying to
install it.  (not sure if I fully understand the instructions yet either).
Any tips?

Thanks for any suggestions.

(Gustin, the pure Debian install was taking tooooo long, and the Dapper
install detected the broadcom card - once I had a cable plugged into it...)