[clug-talk] how to stop partitions being autodetected.

Hendrik Schaink hschaink at infovisi.com
Tue May 9 15:02:01 PDT 2006

To prevent mounting, change the "auto" settings in the 4th parameter in
/etc/fstab from "auto" to "noauto", like this:

From:
/dev/hdb1   <mntpoint>   auto   defaults,user,auto   0  0
To:
/dev/hdb1   <mntpoint>   auto   defaults,user,noauto   0  0

Do this for all partitions that should _not_ be mounted. Save fstab and
issue the command (as root) mount -a.

WARNING: do _not_ touch any root, boot, home, tmp, usr, var, opt
partitions!! Or you will not be able to start your computer.
Also backup your system's fstab with
	cp -p /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig

HTH,

Hendrik Schaink

--
Hendrik M. Schaink
Chief Consultant

"Integrated Business Solutions & Dependable Service"

InfoVision Consulting
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phone: (403) 239-0099

"The Vision: We are the partners of choice for companies and
organizations that share our commitment to creating a world
that is truly wise, courageous, prosperous, innovative,
inclusive, sustainable and humane."     --Ruben Nelson

GPG Fingerprint: 1371 0927 8C3C 831F A838 C312 68BC F5DB 010D F3D7