[clug-talk] how to stop partitions being autodetected.

Graham Monk graham.monk at gmail.com
Tue May 9 14:36:31 PDT 2006

A friend at work posted this on the forums, as the mailing list is
more active I am posting it here. ( with his permision )

I'm getting frustrated. Here is the situation: the computer has three
IDE drives, one DVD/RW drive, and one USB drive. The partitioning is
as follows:

hda1 = XOSL 1.15 bootloader;
hda2 = QNX 6.2.1;
hda3 = Windows 98SE;

hdb1 = Windows 2000 Pro SP4;
hdb2 = SimplyMEPIS 3.4-3 (currently);

hdc1 = Linux swap;
hdc2 = Windows swap;
hdc3 = FAT32 userdata partition;
hdc4 = FAT32 userdata partition;

hdd = DVD/RW drive;

sda1 = FAT32 userdata partition (USB HDD).

What I need is for MEPIS (or any other distro) to:

Never detect or try to mount or show in any way at all any of the
above-listed partitions, except for hdc3, hdc4, hdd, and sda1 - which
I do want automounted, and displayed on the desktop as named icons.

And, I also need MEPIS to use hdc1 for swap - which is something it
does not seem to be willing to do, at the moment... argh.

I have tried editing fstab repeatedly; however, the "dynamic" portion
always keeps coming back... despite having already turned Kwikdisk
off. Why??

Can anyone offer any help on this, please?

djallan