[clug-talk] Random computer crashing

Kin Wong kwong at csa-pdk.com
Tue May 9 13:08:28 PDT 2006

Mitchell Brown wrote:

> Yup I'm suspecting power problems too now. I've been running a CPU
> stress test for hours now, and the memory test went all night, no
> problems. I might try another PSU.
>
> It's an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ I think. It cost about $2000 if I recall
> correctly. It has an ATI All in Wonder ($400) vid card.
>
> Hmm... Can you test a powersupply? Or just replace it?

You can test a power supply but it would be cheaper to replace it.  Most
people only test the output voltage, however it is the current draw that
is more important.  Just like disposable batteries, the voltage only
tells you part of the equation, you need to measure voltage under load.

Power supply can be got for as cheap as 30 -- for a higher end machine,
you should consider spending a bit more money.