[clug-talk] Random computer crashing

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 12:01:43 PDT 2006

Yes, I know it is :S But I didn't know who else to ask!
Thanks for everyones help - I fully plan on swapping out the PSU when I get
the time - I just want to sum up all my options, and, if possible, avoid
having to buy new hardware.

Thanks again everyone.

On 5/9/06, Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 12:40, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> > I would do this, but I don't think its gonna work. Because this is a
> > new computer, and the other computers in the house are very old, this
> > is gonna be the one with the most oomph. So, anything else is gonna
> > die regardless because there's not enough power. Oh, and I'm not sure
> > how to duplicate the problem. Like I said, its very random. Like, when
> > I wiped the drive with QT it worked just fine - now the rip fails
> > like, 3/4 the way through. Very odd .... I mean, if it *was* a PSU
> > problem, why would wiping the drive with QT fix it?
>
> load.  wiping a drive, only causes an electrical load from the
> drive.  Ripping
> a movie causes a load from the drive AND the CPU - which apparently is too
> much for the PSU over an extended period.
>
> you've had LOTS of good advice on this thread.  It's up to you to use it
> or
> ignore it.  I don't mean to be rude, but this IS a Linux mailing list, not
> hardware support line.  :)
>
> Shawn

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422