[clug-talk] Random computer crashing

Hendrik Schaink hschaink at infovisi.com
Tue May 9 11:28:32 PDT 2006

Memory testing program does _not_ stress your video card, but reading a
stream of audio + video in through the ATi All-in-Wonder c/w converting
_and_ displaying at a rate of 30 frames / second _will_ stress. In this
case you're pushing CPU, video + audio hard.

Testing the powersupply? If I'm not mistaken, you _did_ -- except you
didn't know you did. Sure there are testers available but the ones than
can properly _stress_ test the PSU cost many times more than a new PSU.

I'd recommend you open your case and inspect your PSU. If it's a brand
name PSU of at least 350W, see if you can get it replaced under
warranty. If it's a generic "made in china/taiwan" unit of 300W then I'd
suggest get yourself a good replacement PSU of at least 400W, preferable
450W.

HTH,

Hendrik Schaink