[clug-talk] Random computer crashing

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:01:27 PDT 2006

Yup I'm suspecting power problems too now. I've been running a CPU stress
test for hours now, and the memory test went all night, no problems. I might
try another PSU.

It's an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ I think. It cost about $2000 if I recall
correctly. It has an ATI All in Wonder ($400) vid card.

Hmm... Can you test a powersupply? Or just replace it?

On 5/9/06, Hendrik Schaink <hschaink at infovisi.com> wrote:

> Ripping video is a high-CPU-demand task. Considering that you haven't
> found any faulty memory nor hard drive, there's IMHO only two options
> left: either the CPU overheats and goes into power-down mode (Intel CPUs
> only; AMD CPUs in the past tended to burn themselves up) _OR_ the power
> to the CPU is insufficient on a "long-term" power-hungry task. Either of
> these scenario could create weird (dying) sounds over the speakers.
>
> You are saying that your box was bought as a high-end box -- does that
> mean that the PowerSupply is rated at least 350W? IMO a PSU of 300W with
> a high-end CPU _and_ a high-end video card _and_ a high-end sound card
> is a recipe for failure. If my memory serves me well, it was about 2
> years ago that my own supplier started bringing in cases with 350W PSUs
> to provide adequate power to power-hungry components. Be really careful
> with _generic_ PSUs: they are produced with a low price-point in mind;
> reliable power and life span are sacrificed to achieve that price point.
>
> Be sure to check the cooling fins of the CPU fan -- they do tend to get
> clogged up with dust -- blow them out with forced air.
>
> All in all, my money is on the lack of power -- use it for what it's
> worth to you.
>
> Hendrik Schaink
>

> Mitchell Brown wrote:
> > It has one hard drive, a CDRW/DVD-ROM drive, and a DVD-RW drive.
> > And one or two fans. Total. That's it. No extra peripherals.
> >
> > On 5/9/06, *Mark Carlson* <carlsonmark at gmail.com
> > <mailto:carlsonmark at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 5/9/06, Kin Wong < kwong at csa-pdk.com <mailto:kwong at csa-pdk.com>>
> >     wrote:
> >     > Mitchell Brown wrote:
> >     >
> >     > > Okay, the full 5-stage CHKDSK just finished. Found 0 problems.
> Argh.
> >     > > I could try reformatting the drive and doing a NTFS Full this
> >     time -
> >     > > but I'd probably just be wasting my time.
> >     > > If it is faulty memory or a PSU, why would reformatting the
> >     partition
> >     > > with Linux make a difference to the Windows installer O_o
> >     > >
> >     > > I'm at a loss here. This is very frustrating for me and my mom
> wants
> >     > > this video ripped asap.
> >     > >
> >     > > What would you guys do in my situation?
>
> --
> Hendrik M. Schaink
> Chief Consultant
>
> "Integrated Business Solutions & Dependable Service"
>
> InfoVision Consulting
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada
> Phone: (403) 239-0099
>

> "The Vision: We are the partners of choice for companies and
> organizations that share our commitment to creating a world
> that is truly wise, courageous, prosperous, innovative,
> inclusive, sustainable and humane."     --Ruben Nelson

> [...]

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422