[clug-talk] Random computer crashing

Hendrik Schaink hschaink at infovisi.com
Tue May 9 10:56:43 PDT 2006

Ripping video is a high-CPU-demand task. Considering that you haven't
found any faulty memory nor hard drive, there's IMHO only two options
left: either the CPU overheats and goes into power-down mode (Intel CPUs
only; AMD CPUs in the past tended to burn themselves up) _OR_ the power
to the CPU is insufficient on a "long-term" power-hungry task. Either of
these scenario could create weird (dying) sounds over the speakers.

You are saying that your box was bought as a high-end box -- does that
mean that the PowerSupply is rated at least 350W? IMO a PSU of 300W with
a high-end CPU _and_ a high-end video card _and_ a high-end sound card
is a recipe for failure. If my memory serves me well, it was about 2
years ago that my own supplier started bringing in cases with 350W PSUs
to provide adequate power to power-hungry components. Be really careful
with _generic_ PSUs: they are produced with a low price-point in mind;
reliable power and life span are sacrificed to achieve that price point.

Be sure to check the cooling fins of the CPU fan -- they do tend to get
clogged up with dust -- blow them out with forced air.

All in all, my money is on the lack of power -- use it for what it's
worth to you.

Hendrik Schaink

--
Hendrik M. Schaink
Chief Consultant

"Integrated Business Solutions & Dependable Service"

InfoVision Consulting
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phone: (403) 239-0099

"The Vision: We are the partners of choice for companies and
organizations that share our commitment to creating a world
that is truly wise, courageous, prosperous, innovative,
inclusive, sustainable and humane."     --Ruben Nelson

GPG Fingerprint: 1371 0927 8C3C 831F A838 C312 68BC F5DB 010D F3D7