[clug-talk] mail server using qmail

Brad Camroux bgcamroux at shaw.ca
Mon May 8 19:18:20 PDT 2006

Hi, all,

I've been playing around with qmail, and have set up a nice mail server.  I know that the SMTP side works,
because I've been sending messages through it with no problem (using qmail-smtp).  The issue arises with
receiving mail.

I'm using dyndns.org to provide dynamic dns service for a couple of domains, including bgcamroux.homedns.org.
I have successfully setup a BIND/NAMED server on my PC at home, and using tools such as `dig' am able to
find the MX entry residing on _my_ PC.

I have the locals, rcpthosts, and virtualdomains control files setup correctly (I presume) with the appropriate
names (so as not to set up an open hub, or whatever it's called).  But I cannot receive mail to
bgcamroux at bgcamroux.homedns.org sent from anywhere other than my home (eg. mail sent from Yahoo!Mail does
not arrive).

I've even used web-based DNS testing tools which have told me that my mail exchanger is working correctly.

Oh, and I'm running Gentoo Linux kernel 2.6.15, if that helps in any way.

Is there anyone here who knows what I might be missing?  I just want to be able to receive mail to my homedns.org
domain (without having to go through the process of registering a regular domain name).

Any suggestions are appreciated :O)

Cheers,

Brad