[clug-talk] hostname

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon May 8 11:59:30 PDT 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 11:00, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> I haven't checked to see if it's there on my K/Ubuntu box yet, but I meant
> it didn't exist on my PCLinuxOS box in the basement.

Different OSes handle the hostname in different manners for boot up.  For
example, Gentoo used to use /etc/hostname, but has changed this
to /etc/conf.d/hostname, and an equivalent for domainname.  This is just a
reflection of where the startup routines have been told where to get their
data.

There is some expertise with K/Ubuntu on the list, but I don't think many
people here have been using PCLinuxOS.  So, you might try a mailing list/irc
channel where there are more PCLinuxOS folks for more details. Or maybe a
google search with the phrase "PCLinuxOS hostname", and see what you get.
(just trying to suggest other places you might find the details you're after,
but we are trying as best we can here too... grins)