[clug-talk] hostname

timmy tim at timmy.ws
Mon May 8 09:51:23 PDT 2006

You will want to create that file as well as edit your /etc/hosts file;
it should look similar to this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.1   hostname.of.box        shorthostname

I don't know about K/Ubuntu, but in Debian. there is a file in the
/etc/init.d dir called 'hostname.sh'. This is run upon bootup, and all
the file does is read /etc/hostname and set the hostname to what is in
that file (if the file exists, of course).

HTH