[clug-talk] The OSS Policy Community in Canada

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:26:51 PDT 2006

On 5/5/06, simon <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:
> Just found this, 'fire up the email Tank'.
>
> Canadian online census discriminates against FOSS
> http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/04/233250

Although you may not be able to fill out the census online without the
required software, I can't say you're missing much by filling it out
online.  I spent over two hours this week (while installing Knoppix
onto a slow hard drive) filling out my census data online.  Firefox
crashed twice (at two different points in two different ways) causing
me to re-enter _all_ of the data over again.  I also had a session
timeout halfway through that didn't require me to re-enter much data.
Then I decided to try IE (shudder) and it didn't even get past the
first form.  It turns out I had to manually shut down Java then
restart it with IE.  Overall, I filled in my data at least twice.

That could have been minimized by having a "save and continue" feature
instead of a "save and come back later" feature.  The odd part was: it
saved my data when the session timed out, but not when my browser
crashed.  So it's not like saving the intermediate data would be
"against policy."

Bah, now I know why people don't like filling out their census forms.

-Mark