[clug-talk] aRts/Phonon

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 5 10:51:46 PDT 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 10:36, Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 11:51 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 May 2006 22:58, Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> > > my biggest problem with aRts is that it doesn't play nice with other
> > > sound engines - notably that if it is using the device it seems to
> > > kidnap it and, for example, I have to restart FF to get flash to have
> > > sound. Is this a misconfiguration?
> >
> > no. it's just the mess that is linux multimedia right now.
>
> Will Phonon help, or add to the frey? :) It sounds like (from my reading)
> it is at least a step in the right direction.

it's a step in the right direction. it essentially decouples kde from the
final media system decision. which means that if the vendor/system
integrator/user decides to use gstreamer or nmm or arts or $WHATEVER, as long
as there is a phonon backend for that system, kde will work properly and not
get in the way. this also, of course, could end up having positive
implications for running/writing kde apps on operating systems like macos and
windows.

if all open source desktop software adopts a similar approach, then it will
finally be up to the media system developers and system integrators to make
the right decisions for their platforms.

in the meantime, kde continues to lead the way by doing the right thing.

--
Aaron J. Seigo