[clug-talk] kubuntu

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 16:04:43 PDT 2006

Thanks.
I cant find the Users and Groups panel you mean, because it still asks me
which groups I want to add it to. Even regular things like audio, and video
aren't on there by default..

And, the PHP thing I figured out actualy :S It turns out that there was a
package I was missing!

Tell me how to setup graphical root login and I'll give you a cookie :) And
I promise not to use it ;)

On 5/4/06, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 04 May 2006 15:50, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> >    - Users. Is there any way of adding users in a "foolproof" or
> "Wizard"
> >    way where it automatically puts them in the proper groups? Because I
> > have no idea which groups a regular user should belong to, and what
> extra
> > groups an administrator should belong to.
>
> in Dapper there's a User & Groups panel in System Administration. the
> group
> you want to add users to is "admin" for admin rights.
>
> >    - Root - How do I set it up so I can login graphically with Root (bad
> >    idea, yes, but, I have my reasons). I have done sudo passwd and set
> the
> >    password, but the login screen says that root can't do that.
>
> yep. and that's for your own protection. there is exactly zero reason to
> log
> in as root. it is quite possible, but .. no =)
>
> >    - Printing. How do I make the box go looking on my network for a
> >    printer? I went to "Network printer (tcp)" in the Add Printer box,
> but I
> >    found that it couldn't find it. (It said it was searching 127.0.0.1so
> >    maybe searching localhost is a problem! :-/)
>
> yes; on the network scan page click on the Settings button
>
> >    So, I ended up having to
> > tell it it was a Samba printer (it's both, its running on a linux box) -
> > think it works, but it just seems wrong to have two linux boxes talking
> > over Samba
>
> samba's not all that bad =)
>
> >    - PHP and MySQL server. -- in most distros, you just goto the package
> >    manager, load up php and its deps, and mysql and its deps, and boom,
> it
> >    dumps them into /var/www/html/ in the proper subdirectory, vuala, it
> > works. I loaded the necessary packages via Adept and I don't see
> anything
> > in /var/www other then the DocumentRoot (which is in /var/www instead of
> > /var/www/html where I usually find it!!)
>
> so ... php scripts aren't working? or ..?
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422