[clug-talk] OT: Work table selection

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Thu May 4 08:11:40 PDT 2006

Thanks for everybody's replies :-)

I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do, but I think I'm getting close.

----Reply #1----
On 5/3/06, Kin Wong <kwong at csa-pdk.com> wrote:
> Don't want to use anything from Ikea, particle board will not stand up
> to any shear forces, though compression forces are ok.
Yeah, that was one of my two concerns with the Ikea stuff, the other
being their legs... some of which get wobbly way too quick.

> What about the baker's racks -- if you have been to vfxweb, they use
> them to hold monitors for sale.  The shelves are adjustable and each
> shelf can hold up a couple hundred pounds.  They can be had from costco
> for less than 100 dollars.
That sounds like a great idea!  I don't think I'd use it for my
workbench, but it would be great for holding stuff right beside it.

----Reply #2----
On 5/4/06, Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com> wrote:
> I've seen similar workbenches at Canadian Tire, and Home Depot - keeping in
> mind you are looking at a "workbench" and not a desk.
I'll have to look into that

> Failing that a do it yourself solution might be more cost efficient...
>
> Ikea sells their corporate table tops individually.  I've stood on these
> things, while they were holding some heavy servers.  With the right legs and
> supports on them they can hold a fair bit.  And you can piece one of these
> together for under $300 (or less even) - and I think the better table tops
> are made of real wood, not particle board.
>
> Another DIY alternative is to get some of the angle brackets for building
> shelves, and use them to build the workbench you want, in conjunction to 1/2"
> ply-wood.  (I'm thinking the 1/4" angle bracket type of shelving..., not the
> cheap tin stuff.)
Hmm... I had pondered that a few weeks ago, and now that you mention
it, its starting to sound like my best choice.  I think I can get a
good deal on Unistrut through work.  Combining that with either an
Ikea tabletop (the Unistrut should reinforce it enough to be usable)
or the particleboard+laminate, and I think I might just have a bench!

> If you REALLY want something solid that can hold a lot of weight, my roommate
> is a B class welder and routinely works with metal up to 3 or 5 inches thick.
> He could probably build you something custom to meet your needs for the price
> of that desk you were originally looking at.  But you might need a forklift
> to move it.. :)
Yeah, that might be a little too sturdy to get into my apartment :-)

-Mark