[clug-talk] OT: Work table selection

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Thu May 4 01:02:22 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 17:38, Mark Carlson wrote:
> Warning: long question ahead, if you don't want to read it, here is a
> short form you can answer: "what do you use for a workbench/computer
> desk?"

Wow, that's a high end workbench you're looking for.  More for an electronics
tech like yourself, than for a network tech/programmer like me.

I've seen similar workbenches at Canadian Tire, and Home Depot - keeping in
mind you are looking at a "workbench" and not a desk.

Failing that a do it yourself solution might be more cost efficient...

Ikea sells their corporate table tops individually.  I've stood on these
things, while they were holding some heavy servers.  With the right legs and
supports on them they can hold a fair bit.  And you can piece one of these
together for under $300 (or less even) - and I think the better table tops
are made of real wood, not particle board.

Another DIY alternative is to get some of the angle brackets for building
shelves, and use them to build the workbench you want, in conjunction to 1/2"
ply-wood.  (I'm thinking the 1/4" angle bracket type of shelving..., not the
cheap tin stuff.)

If you REALLY want something solid that can hold a lot of weight, my roommate
is a B class welder and routinely works with metal up to 3 or 5 inches thick.
He could probably build you something custom to meet your needs for the price
of that desk you were originally looking at.  But you might need a forklift
to move it.. :)