[clug-talk] OT: Work table selection

Kin Wong kwong at csa-pdk.com
Wed May 3 22:34:59 PDT 2006

Mark Carlson wrote:

>Warning: long question ahead, if you don't want to read it, here is a
>short form you can answer: "what do you use for a workbench/computer
>Hello again,
>Well, my card table is getting pretty wobbly, and my Ikea computer
>desk is becoming pretty much useless.  I have been looking into
>purchasing a new workbench for a few weeks now, and was really
>impressed with this little number:
>(tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/n4y3b )
>A place in town ( http://active-tech.ca ) carries the line, and I was
>just about to buy one with a shelf for the hefty sum of ~$800.  That
>was out of my budget already, but when I went to get a quote, they
>said they would have to charge an extra $250 for shipping.
>Unfortunately, I'm not made of money, so now I'm looking for something
>less pricey.  I suppose I can do without the modularity, but the work
>surface will probably end up facing some serious scratching, stray
>solder/soldering irons, and heavyish equipment (well, a couple hundred
>pounds anyways.)
>So, my requirements are:
>- Durable surface (or can replace it for under $100)
>- Can hold a few hundred pounds
>- A shelf would be nice
>- Need to get a chair under it
>- Large enough (30"x72" surface would be ideal)
>- Need to get a keyboard+monitor on there somehow
>That leaves me with a few options:
>- 2xSawhorse+Plywood
>- - I can only hope this would handle throwing on an 80lb computer or
>a 50lb 'scope
>- Get an Ikea table and either cover it with something or keep replacing it
Don't want to use anything from Ikea, particle board will not stand up
to any shear forces, though compression forces are ok.

>- - They tend to fall apart after a few years :-(
>- Use a rack system like readyrack or gorilla rack
What about the baker's racks -- if you have been to vfxweb, they use
them to hold monitors for sale.  The shelves are adjustable and each
shelf can hold up a couple hundred pounds.  They can be had from costco
for less than 100 dollars.

Wire shelving is not suitable for a desktop, could use a plywood insert
with a laminate top.  If you use particle board, it would be about 20
for a 4*8 sheet.  Laminate if you don't care about the colour, you can
get a damaged sheet for about 20.  Will need contact cement to glue the
two together.

Circular cutouts for the legs - posts.