[clug-talk] IBM laptop screen displaced

Graham Monk graham.monk at gmail.com
Wed May 3 16:35:59 PDT 2006

On 5/3/06, Mark Carlson <carlsonmark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/06, Graham Monk <graham.monk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I've been playing with an IBM A21m laptop here and tried
> > putting SUPER/Slick SUSE on it, everything seems good
> > except for after a reboot, the screen is displaced, that is,
> > the taskbar is about a quarter the way up the screen and
> > the top part of the screen is underneath.
> >
> > Any suggestions? some googling suggests it is something
> > to do with powersave?
> >
> > graham
> I don't know if you've been here, or if it'll be that helpful, but
> some people have gotten together and made a Wiki for ThinkPad users.
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
> There's a few Linux install tutorials for the A21M, but they might
> have some info related to the screen problem as well.
> -Mark

Thats a useful site, didn't find anything specific though.
Thanks for the input people, I was just experimenting with this machine
My cow-irker got round to  finishing up this batch of laptops. I was also
how well SUPER SUSE would work on a P3 800, and the  answer was, not
bad. definite speed improvement over the standard SUSE. Software installs
took longer because of the prelinking. First time I did a Yast Online Update
I thought it had froze, fortunately I was busy and didn't interfere, and it
finish, though it took several minutes.

>From discusions here, I think it has something to do with Vertical /
refresh rates. Maybe I'll get more time at a later date.