[clug-talk] Looking for input on Internet application usage.

Tek Budda TekBudda at shaw.ca
Wed May 3 13:32:08 PDT 2006

In general, I tend to look for applications that are cross-platform for
Windows, Linux & Mac OS X.  Support for others is great, but those three
are key.  I made this choice because of the mixture of environments that
I work in and by having something cross-platform, it makes it easier to
support, means that a user can sit at any computer and use that software
with little or no retraining, and allows for standardization across the
board.  A few key applications that I like are as follows:
* Firefox: For the extensions support, quickness, standards-based for
web page rendering, and portable to a USB key, which makes it easier to
build a portable office.
* Thunderbird: For the extensions support, quickness, standards-based ,
excellent filters, makes it easy to manage and control my e-mail, and
portable to a USB key, which makes it easier to build a portable office.
* Sunbird: Although not quite at the 1.0 level, it is still very feature
rich and gives me a lot of control with managing my tasks and
appointments and mixing multiple calenders.  Being standards-based, it
also allows me to exchange my data easier with others and also portable
to a USB key.
* GAIM: An excellent multi-protocol IM client that allows me manage my
contacts across my multiple accounts on multiple IM services.  Love the
transparency feature and all of my conversations in a single window.
Also portable to a USB key.
* OpenOffice.org: ISO certified file format office suite that allows me
work with all of my MS Office documents without needing to purchase
expensive software.  Love the support for a wide variety of file formats
and being able to pdf my documents from a single interface.

Hope that helps add to the collection!

Cameron